![]() |
| The sign, still under construction. |
The word blóm (blome) is Icelandic for flower. Inspired by a friend's recent visit to Iceland and the sheer beauty of the word itself, I chose this word as the name for our pop-up roadside flower stand.
A lot of projects come and go at Affable Acres but one constant is gardening. Ever since my bestie in high school started that summer job gardening, and I understood hard work and being dirty wouldn't kill a person, I have been hooked on digging. I love to dig! I have a shovel tattoo I love to dig so much. (It was admittedly more fun to dig in Florida than here in rocky New York, but still.) Most of what I dig is for plants.
Do you ever feel like you have to justify something that's just nice for you, something you enjoy but doesn't seem practical? too indulgent somehow? Maybe that's just me. I LOVE having flowers in the house. To my simple heart, fresh flowers in a bathroom is the ultimate in luxury. And the #3 reason I always always use the ladies room at Wegmans. (Hee hee, see what I did there? #3?)
Annyway, despite season after season of trying to find ways to trick myself into cutting flowers for my pleasure I had opportunity to cut someone else's flowers and it was a revelation. The cutting is its own pleasure! I had to give myself permission to stop thinking like a gardener and think like a florist. And that's when the idea began to form in my mind.
The plan is to continue planting and enjoying the gardening of perennial flowers. No problem there. But instead of trying to convince myself every single time I'm out there to go ahead and cut a few for the house, I am going to cut flowers twice a week, rain or shine. Depending one what's available, they'll go into arrangements and/or buckets and then out to the stand. I'll have a sale sign up until the sun comes over the fence and then they all go inside for me to enjoy. And just like that, flowers in the bathrooms twice per week. Unless they all sell? In which case I can buy more flowers to plant? That's what the Icelandic would call a "vinna vinna" situation.
![]() |
| Future hugel and flower stand location, also under construction. |


No comments:
Post a Comment